You might recall that when I moved in here the door to what is now the bedroom was in a rather poor state of repair - the bottom panels had been kicked in and the upper ones were split. I pulled it apart and used bits of it to repair the other doors and have since had nothing but a curtain over the opening. Actually the door into the study has yet to be re-hung as well but that is more a case of needing a good paint stripping. Anyway, looking at second hand doors they are all ridiculously expensive, the wrong size, wrong proportions, wrong configuration and so on. So I was rather thrilled when Heather decided her own bedroom did not need a door and would I like to have it?
I picked it up last night on my way back from the bank and left it there overnight with a view to taking it to the Men's Shed today. Carefully removed the hinges, measured the opening it is to go into, tried to work out how to remove the door handle (still no idea on that front) and merrily set off this morning only to discover the Shed was closed. Bother. So it is still in the back of the ute and I am still hoping they will be open tomorrow (and it will not rain too much tonight).
Meanwhile I decided to sugar soap the door surround and undercoat it. The first attempt failed due to years of accumulated hand-grime, but the second (involving steel wool) worked a treat and it has now had its first coat of undercoat. I will apply another since this plastic gloss seems to require many many coats to cover any streaks that might lurk under the surface. So tomorrow's sewing venture will not be likely to happen since I will have linen to stack as well as a door to saw (assuming the Shed is open). Failing that I will have to ask Heather to help me get it out of the back of the ute tomorrow as it will get warped if it stays out in the weather for too long.
I did get quite a bit done with the whipper snipper which made me feel a little less frustrated but as today was one of those days where half the sky is blue and the other half is black with pregnant clouds - the wind is gusting strongly and it is all a bit too hard - I stopped once I had cleared around the house and done the front yard. At least clearing round the house now gives me a clear view of the area where I plan to start building a path and the retaining wall for the back terrace, so that's a good start. Not much chance of regrowth unless we see any rain in the near future.
No comments:
Post a Comment