Monday, December 7, 2015

A day that was supposed to be sunny but which was actually overcast for the morning. But I did the washing anyway and have taken it in and put it away. I also managed to sort through the last two drawers and now have summer and winter night attire organised appropriately. Another bag of stuff for the Bargain Centre as I have decided I don't like flannel pyjamas any more as I get tangled in them when trying to sleep.

I then called up to see Heather as I have not seen her for some time, and she led me astray.

Over the road from her is a white weatherboard house that has been empty for some time. The owner, who I presume to be Vera, is in the nursing home and will not be coming home again. How she has managed to keep hold of it and nevertheless find a place is beyond me. I assume it is her place as there are many empty cat food tins outside the back door and a grave for a cat, complete with metal engraved plaque and white picket fence. The yard is enclosed with a thicket of evergreen shrubs so there would be no issues of privacy at all, despite the house being crammed up to the road frontage on both sides (it is a corner location). It is sound, solidly constructed, has a good roof - you can see where I am going with this.

If it is Vera's (and I have to say I had always assumed she lived in the former police house which is green), then it also has no plumbing and may reek of cat wee as she had many many cats. That being the case it would also be lucky to get more than $80,000 which means, if I get the right price for the house in the UK, I could buy it, get the plumbing and wiring sorted, move in and then sell my own house for any additional funds required for painting it and getting a kitchen that functions.

Our strategy is that Heather will write to the address (assuming mail is being redirected) and offer assistance in clearing out the stuff, sorting it for decisions and generally scrubbing it up. That would give us a chance to get indoors and find out how badly it smells.....

If it looks possible to get rid of any residual odours (and the place has been empty for some years now) then it would be a rather nice house - level block, neighbours a long way away and a chance to subdivide the rear portion (as it opens onto the side street) without compromising privacy. Very tempting on the face of it.

Of course first I have to sell the house in the UK - today is the first day that inspections can be arranged (or will be, once they all wake up over there), so I am not holding my breath for a sale this side of Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. Now I wonder if that can come off! It would be good to be away from the neighbours no doubt Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would indeed. I had to chase their chooks out of the yard again tonight I spoke to Robin once again and told him it was once too many times and I expect him to lock them up and leave them locked up. I will definitely go to Council if he doesn't after that! You can't see either house from the other cottage so I would not even have reminders of them except when walking the dogs on the oval.

    ReplyDelete