The Men's Shed was open this morning when I turned up hopefully with my door. Unfortunately they decided to 'help' me with the result the door ended up 10mm too narrow. I realised this after I had left so called back again and ran one of the offcuts through the table saw (without all that help this time) and was able to glue and nail it on to the side of the door where the latch will be attached. I concluded if I put it on the other side, then screwing the hinges in could become a problem given the weight of the door.
I left it there for the glue to dry as no-one needed that particular table and will pick it up on Monday, though not before stripping off a couple of layers of paint as, when I sanded the surface to level off the dowel I had poked into the hole where the latch was, some of the paint started coming up in big flakes, suggesting it is not terribly well bonded to the lower coats.
It was a bit of a team effort all round, as the handle obviously was not going to fit any more, so the hole was stopped up using a bit of dowel that was lying around in the shed. I borrowed their filler for that and the various other holes where screws had been used in the past, and it is looking pretty ok now, pending the paint stripping. I will not bother to go all the way back to wood, but will take off the layers of modern paint that had not had a 'converting' base coat before they were applied.
Then on to sewing where I managed another two square centimetres of stitching before heading home.
A job scrolled over my FB page last night that was just the thing if I can get it. It is down at the Dogs Home where Seb came from - basically fairly menial - cleaning runs, assisting the vets, walking dogs etc. so I didn't bother giving them the full monty CV - just my history of animal ownership, my approach to handling dogs etc, and of course Shadow's saga of international travel. Included a photo of Seb with Smidgen to show them how he has settled in, and will await there results. They have had the courtesy to acknowledge receipt of the application which is always a nice surprise these days.
It is a casual post - filling in for staff on leave, busy periods, staff off sick, that sort of thing so should not interrupt the pattern of my life too badly. I will, however, need to get someone recruited to relieve in my other two jobs should I be successful. I am wondering if I should drop in while i am in town on Friday so they can put a face to the application or whether it might be better to stay 'doggo' unless they call me up. I think the latter.
I managed to get an appointment with the podiatrist on very short notice which was great news as it was the last one they had available this side of Christmas, so that is where I will go on Friday - check out the new Myers store (and get some socks) etc before heading back to the northern suburbs for dog and cat food en route home.
No comments:
Post a Comment