Friday, January 9, 2015

There was a little fracas with the horses next door last night. One of them appears to have caught her halter on the metal crate full of rubbish they left in the paddock with them. Whether or not she then got a buzz off the electric fence (a horsewidth away from the crate), I don't know. But she startled away, pulling the crate into several smaller pieces and all three of them galloped off to the opposite corner, cannoning into the gate and then back again. Two of them seemed OK  but the third one was favouring a hind leg and on closer inspection, had the halter down around her withers.

So I toddled over to let them next door know (they had the telly on and had heard nothing) and finally convinced them they needed to go check on her (it was touch and go there for a while). We went down and the halter was not only down around her withers, she had somehow managed to get her front leg through the rest of it and it was tucked in under her elbow, completely hobbling her.

Luckily she escaped with some skin missing from various parts and one deeper cut inside her front leg which will require attention. I suggested bathing it with salty water as I doubt they will call in a vet.

I left them to it after they assured me they could get back to the house without a torch.

This morning they have been moved to new pastures - two of them together and the injured mare in a separate paddock - some distance from my boundary, lol.

After cleaning the bank I headed into the Community Garden where we weeded and whippersnipped till it was all restored to its former glory. Eleanor popped in and, as a result, I am now attending the presentation whether I want to or not. Personally I am not keen, but I guess I see her point.

Dug some spuds which will be boiled up with some mint for dinner tonight (in their jackets, they are Dutch Creams), then came home and popped dinner on. Apricot Chicken which I have not cooked for about forty years and which I am fairly sure involves dried apricots. My version involves fresh apricots, some fried onions, a dash of chicken stock in the flour I dusted the drummies with, and that's about it. It should be ready for consumption around 8pm as I have it on a low setting in the oven.

It seems we may have a dog show happening tomorrow as there are various stakes erected in the oval that were not there this morning and I saw one of the organisers driving back into town as I headed home. The dogs and I will take our exercise in the grounds of the railway station while it is on, as it will be too exhausting taking Seb down there with so many distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment