Monday, January 26, 2015

A good morning at the awards ceremony with lots of very worth local recipients.  I even got to have my photo taken with one of those giant cheques! Unbeknownst to us we not only received the certificate, but Council wanted to brag about the grants they had given to various community groups - hence the giant cheque. We didn't get to take it home with us, but they gave us a plaque that we will display in the Garden, along with the framed certificate.

What they didn't tell us was that we were required to give mini-speeches for each presentation - a task that Eleanor unkindly deferred to me. Fortunately I had some warning as we were somewhere down the list, and was able to remind myself of the four key contributors that I had to publicly acknowledge. The cheque was a bit more impromptu, but I was able to remember some of the things we said the grant was for, so as to sound vaguely convincing!

I would normally find this sort of presentation boring to the point of self-destruction, but I appear to have been here long enough for most of the recipients to be familiar faces, if not friends. Either that, or there is a very small community of volunteers doing pretty much everything around these parts. I suspect the latter.

And speaking of volunteers, the Hospital Auxilliary turned on a fabulous feast for afterwards - cream puffs, sponge cakes, home made sausage rolls - you name it!

Home again, I took the dog for a walk and was just pouring a cuppa when someone called in to have a look at the table saw. I have decided to sell it as it is taking up space in the spare room and is unlikely to have much future use - I can always use the one at the Men's Shed if I need one.

Since I have no idea how much to ask for it, and he will need to think how much he wants to spend, nothing actually happened about the transaction and it is still there. Meanwhile the mitre saw got a work out cutting a bit more wood in case I need to light the fire shortly (I think I will) thanks to the cold snap we are having at present. Fortunately I was not obliged to attend the pool party they had at the Oatlands Pool to celebrate Australia Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment