The vines themselves are taking over the polytunnel and have engulfed the basil plants entirely. There is a cos lettuce gone to seed in there somewhere, so I am hoping to still be able to find it so I can harvest the seeds when they are ripe.
The tomatoes to the left (the orange ones) are some sort of heirloom variety. The tree in the middle of the planting is a red one and the one furthest from the camera is a black russian.
I had quite forgotten, when I agreed to clean cottages today, that I was supposed to be in the garden, but we managed to get the weeding out of the way in short order and I left Syche to finish the job while I pottered off to earn my keep.
There was, of course, the bank to do also so that was sorted out first of all.
The wind has picked up now, and will apparently be even stronger tomorrow. Hope the roof holds good. I have written the number of the SES on the fridge door just in case!we had two more showers this afternoon that delivered another couple of mm. which was nice.
Have spent some time leaning on the fence watching the pigs next door - they are quite amazing to watch. You would think those little squidgey noses would be too sensitive to plunge into the ground as they do, but no. They thrust them deep into the ground then plough up whatever is in their path before moving on to the next bit. Astonishing. I have never watched pigs in natural surroundings before (the ones at college were in a piggery and the one down the road is in a pen and let out to graze from time to time on grass pasture), and they are quite remarkable animals in action. They are also keen to get to know everything in their environment. A sheet of bright yellow plastic caught on a post of their pen had them all in a row watching it, and when it blew loose, they scampered off then converged on it again when it lay still. Obviously very curious creatures.

No comments:
Post a Comment