Saturday, January 31, 2015

Summer really isn't working out well at the moment. A full day of veils of rain wafting across the landscape and chilly temperatures (we were aiming for 13 but have only achieved 11.4 so far). The fire was lit at around 11 and has been chugging away at a relatively low setting all day, but the hassle of keeping it fed, wondering if the wood will last that I cut, and so forth has had me googling heating alternatives.

My first thought was a pellet fire - after all there is nothing like the glow of a wood heater on a chilly day/night, but while i was reading a discussion about them on a forum, someone mentioned Lava Glass which seems to be the flat panels that K&D were selling last year that the local pancake parlour installed and extolled.

I have to say they do seem very attractive both in terms of efficiency and looks - just flat panels of opaque glass that sit against the wall and emit heat. One in the bathroom could be fitted behind the towel rail and one in the lounge room would be good too, as would one in the kitchen. Apparently the more advanced models also have heat settings (which are lacking on the ones that they have at the Pancake Parlour) so you could reduce costs even further. And not needing a chain saw is attractive too, as is the reduced dust, maintenance etc. Even with the Pellet Fires you still have to cart bags of pellets around and I suppose I do have to consider that in the not too distant future that may no longer be an option. Running costs are apparently very low as well. I will investigate further.

The ones at K&D were very cheap too - only $99.00 each. Hmmmmm, getting the thinking cap on here. Perhaps if I were to buy one for the sewing room cum office as a trial.





Between the less than summery weather and the recent purchase of two bunches of carrots and beetroot, I opted for a roast tonight. So at present I have carrots, beetroot, parsnip (from my own garden), garlic and potatoes roasting in the oven under a rump roast (actually the heel end of the rump I got for $30.00 a few weeks ago). The veges have been drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt and then topped with some fresh sprigs of thyme. The lot has been covered with foil to speed up cooking and i will be taking that off when I am confident they are softish, so that they can crisp up and the roast can brown.


No comments:

Post a Comment