Tuesday, January 13, 2015

I spotted them next door out on the street this morning as I was heading out so stopped and told them I was a bit concerned about having the pigs so close to the house. The explanation is that they are being used to clear the weeds and uproot the rubbish (of which there is a plenitude) buried in the ground so they can clear the pastures for the horses. Evidently it is intended they will be eaten, all bar one, who will be housed at some distance from me and used to breed piglets for eating (and selling on to cover costs). The stated intention is that they will be shifted from their present abode in about a month (sooner if they do a good job) and moved progressively around the property. It remains to be seen as to whether this actually happens (remember they have yet to start picking up horse poo in the paddocks where the horses are kept), but I will take it on good faith. He did say he didn't envisage running into any problems, which provided me with the necessary opening to let him know that pigs in built up areas are a no-no, but I did it as part of the conversation, not as a threat.

I asked if I could have a bucket of blood when they slaughter so I can have a go at making black pudding (still on my list) and that has been agreed, as also the proposition of a side of pork should the funds be available for such extravagance.

Since it was mild and overcast today I took the hoe down the bottom paddock and hacked out the scotch thistles that were starting to show heads (and all the rest of them as well) and found that what I had assumed was a willow starting up in the bottom paddock appears to be two trees of different species - no idea where they came from (or what they are) , but anything is better than nothing I guess.

The promised rain (100% certainty) has not so far eventuated. A light drizzle is all on offer at present. Looking at the radar, the wall of rain that is coming across the State splits as it gets to Oatlands and passes either side of my place - wouldn't you know it! I suspect we need more trees planted to provide the necessary stimulus.

No comments:

Post a Comment