Sunday, July 6, 2014

It rained last night! And today - well until lunch time. So the tank is staggering up to the half-full mark and I am back in business water wise. Huge relief as it was getting pretty low. Astounding for this time of year.

I was settling back for a day of re-arranging buckets on the loungeroom floor when I received a message requesting I do two of the units. So I hied me into town and did so. I was working on the second one (which fronts onto the Main Street) and spotted this wandering past. A team of bullocks on their way to the Heritage Expo. Never a quiet moment in Oatlands, it seems.

Also in that flat I discovered a roast chicken from the local shop and a bag of lettuce as well as a bottle of balsamic dressing that looks rather tasty. So they came home with me, along with the custard tart from the first cottage.

The dogs got the custard tart as an apology for me going out and the lettuce went into the compost bin. The chicken has served two purposes. The meat was added to the dogs' dinner and the bones have been added to the bones I stockpiled from the last chicken and are now simmering on the woodstove for a stock.

My Canadian friends have a great idea that I have to say had never occurred to me. They keep icecream buckets in the fridge and toss in all the bones left over from meals (one each for chicken, beef and lamb). When it is full, the cook it up as bone stock which goes to making soups and casseroles. They do the same with vege scraps = all those half onions, half carrots etc left over from particularly picky recipes. I have yet to start a vege bowl, but I will do so when I produce any leftovers of that variety.

Some other photos I have taken of late (in the last week) for your delectation.

 A rather nice rainbow that I spotted while we were working in the School garden last Monday.
 A particularly stunning sunrise the other morning!

Last night's dinner - a potato and onion pizza - I forgot to add the cheese, doh. Since it refused to come out of the pan (I forgot to oil it before spreading the dough) it was a challenging meal, but I got there in the end. Tonight is is cumberland sausages, cabbage with bacon and mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment