Wednesday, January 9, 2013
The wind and weather were not conducive to a signal yesterday, sorry. By late afternoon the temperature had dropped considerably so it was a good thing I sweated it out in the morning cutting up some of the lighter bits of wood into fire wood in anticipation - same again today with the temp at 12 degrees at present - bit of a change from 39 I have to day. Still, never mind it will be hot again tomorrow - welcome to Tasmania
The wind is picking up considerably so tomorrow and Friday will be nasty all round. I hope to do a tip run on Friday, but will wait and load at the last minute so I have space to load stuff in case of evacuation instead. Am filling the 20 litre jerry can tonight and popping it in the ute so the animals have something to drink worst case scenario.
While the fires are a fair way off, a wind change would have them through here in a flash as all the paddocks are still heavy with grass waiting to be made into hay. The farmer on the hill cut his yesterday which was good to see. Council also cut the grass in the recreation grounds at long last, which is a good thing as that is our 'safe haven' lol. It is just over the back fence from here, so easy to get to whatever the conditions.
Quilting today so lots of gossip - Babette was there. Her house is down Murdunna way and still exists (minus its deck) but is currently occupied by her brother's family who lost their house. She is staying with our posty as she is engaged to her son. Getting a first hand (well, secondhand as she is relaying from her family's update) really brings home the conditions down there the other day. Not a good place to be at the time, or even now, I gather as the fires are still active and waiting for encouragement.
Dropped off some stuff for the Salvos - bedding towels, toiletries and a packet of nappies I have had on standby in case I get a poddy lamb unexpectedly so hopefully it will come in handy. We launched our raffle today too - a Sunbonnet Sue quilt with lots of stitcheries on it. Dollar a ticket if anyone is interested.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great to see you are blogging again. I missed your contributions. I have now made Primrose Sands my prime residence and we were evacuated last Friday night due to the fires. You can read about my adventure here: http://primrosehappysnapper.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/oh-what-night.html?m=1
ReplyDeleteOh you poor pet!!! Will read with great interest.
ReplyDelete