Sunday, August 14, 2016

Well many thanks to Fran for all the instruction - it is going to be a bit easier to work out what may or may not be missing on the History Room wheel now, as I have a traditional wheel to do a compare and contrast with. Mine. It was on Gumtree for $80.00 so I rang up and got it. En route I called into the Lucky Ewe and picked up a bag of tops which is nice clean, ready-carded wool arranged in long swags. You break off a metre, split it into smaller widths and away you go. Or at least away I will go when I work out how to stop the bobbin from spinning at the same rate as the flier. I suspect there is a bush missing or something similar. But hey, it works in a general sort of way and will be a good thing to learn on before I head into more expensive territory.
This is the top I bought - it is a natural fleece (undyed) and still has some grease in it.



I also managed to get two loads of washing done and in dry despite the gusts of strong wind. Of course it didn't include the sheets - I prefer not to compromise the clothes line by turning it into a mast.

2 comments:

  1. Jo, congratulations on your wheel acquisition! I also just realised that the History room wheel has another thing missing. I realised that when you mentioned your bobbin flying at the same rate as the flier. You need to fix up your Scotch tension on your wheel but the History Room wheel needs some fishing line and a knob (see knob here https://www.paradisefibers.com/products/ashford-scotch-tension-knob
    and a rubber band/tiny spring. The fishing line goes through the hole in the knob given in the above cite and is tied at the other end to a rubber band/spring and that is hooked onto a cup hook on the base of the mother-of-all. You can see a pic of the mother-of-all Scothc tension set up here, http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1173/3265167814_bb12811c5f.jpg but that mother-of-all in that cite is a newer version than on the History Room wheel and so the knob position on the History Room wheel is at the back directly under the groove in the bobbin and the cup hook and spring/rubber band would be on the side of the mother-of-all that is hidden from view. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those links Fran. I have been watching videos ..... more to come apparently.

      Delete