Monday, August 15, 2016

As Fran has spotted the bobbin brake is missing - on both wheels. Not knowing about bobbin brakes, I had already ad-libbed a length of wool from the hook to the knob which worked in a manner of speaking. I was watching videos today and observed, not only the technique they were demonstrating, but also the features of the wheels.  I did a little spinning last night (OK, I am impatient) and ended up with something that looks like I have been wearing my hair in dreadlocks and cut them off to wind around the bobbing.
The thin nicely spun bits happen when all goes well and the flier keeps going round and the bobbin stays still. The rest happens because when I pinch the wool, the flier stops. Poo. I suspect this is slippage on the wheel, but adjusting the tension doesn't seem to make any difference. So I will go to Hobart and get a repair kit from the local dealer which will fix one wheel, and let me see what is needed for the other one so I can get the pieces from Bunnings as I will have something to compare it with.

They also assure me they stock spare maidens, but I suspect height will be an issue as there are many different models of this wheel. There is a time-line on the website so I now know mine was first manufactured in 1975, and the History Room's model dates to 1965 - who knew! They change the details from time to time, presumably to update it all and respond to identified problems (and new materials - the more recent models have more plastic in them).

So that was a fun way to pass the day, and it all exhausted Esther who has discovered a new use for the wheel that I doubt the manufacturers had in mind.

4 comments:

  1. Your spinning looks good for a beginner so don't get discouraged. I am surprised though at the date for the history room wheel as 1965. I though at that date it should have had leather mounts for the spindle whorl and not the plastic mounts. My first wheel from later in the 1960s still had leather mounts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The timeline on their website gives the dates. No idea what material the spindle whorl is made of - is that the middle of the wheel? I will have a closer look on Thursday. It is based on the shape of the maidens which changes over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jo for the heads up on the timeline. The Ashford NZ site says that the use of the plastic holders on the maidens dates from 1975. That accords with my wheel which I bought brand new in the very late 60s/early 70s. I know I had it by 1973 but strongly suspect that I wouldn't have been able to afford it until at least 1970. It's great to know that new maidens and new plastic bearings are still available for sale. Love the old Ashford Trads. BTW, our equipment officer doesn't ahve a spare maiden at all so I can't help you out with a spare one - sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries, I have bought the thingy that attaches to the maiden so will turn one at the Mens Shed. Thanks so much for all your help.

    ReplyDelete