Saturday, August 13, 2016

Sorry to bore non-spinners with this lot. And many thanks Fran for your offer of help.
 This is the image from the manual showing what the pieces are supposed to look like.









And this is what we have. As you can see one of the upright features is missing. I suspect it's the one designed to be removeable.









Here is a different perspective showing the hole where it is supposed to be.




 All the other removable bits are there still as far as I can tell.
 The treadle seems OK, apart from a bit of lifted ply, but the downpiece from the centre of the wheel has a split at the bottom where I am guessing someone screwed it too tightly at some point. With a new bit of leather that shouldn't be a crisis I hope.
Apart from taking photos in at the History Room (which also included bringing in wood and lighting the fire for the elderly volunteer who was planning to shiver her way through the day), I laid down six rows of the cable work which have subsequently been pulled apart. Not sure what is going on with my knitting, the left hand end of the last two garments has gone to custard. Right number of stitches - I know the pattern works as I have knitted it before, but the left hand side was not running properly. I will try again tomorrow. I do know that cable is not a job for watching telly (at least till I get the pattern established and work out what result to expect from a TB or a CR2L or whatever. Add to that, the Abbreviations is at the head of the pattern which turns the page at row 6 (of a 25 row pattern repeat). I will photocopy it. Oh, and the back page just fell off the pattern book which is annoying but not critical as it does not contain anything more than a pretty photograph unrelated to the contents.
 The wind has just picked up once again, so I imagine it will be another breezy night.








6 comments:

  1. OK Jo, it's not too bad. What you are missing is called a "maiden"and the missing bit is the "front maiden" (and if anyone really wants to get technical, tell them it's the maiden that the orifice end of the spindle fits into. In addition it's a maiden with the plastic holder not the older and original leather holders). Ashford should be able to replace that at a cheap enough price although if you can wait a couple of days I'll ask the equipment officer at my local Guild if she has a spare one and if she does we;ll figure out a way I can get it to you. a Strong bit of saddle leather shoud be easy enough to find to attach the "footman" (the long upright rod) to the treadle. Otherwise it looks like quite a good wheel and no reason why it shouldn't be a good goer. You also have 3 bobbins and a "lazy kate" which is needed when plying 2 spun bobbins of yarn together. You can oil all likely moving parts with some Singer sewing machine oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention, it's an Ashford Traditional which you probably already know by now. I have one - they are common and reliable and usually replaceable second hand for under $100 in going condition and nearly all Australian spinners I know have had one at least once in their spinning lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drat! I've got a mind like a suet pudding! I forgot to mention that the front maiden isn't the one that is turned to get bobbin off - that is usually the back maiden and the front maiden is left alone so that the drive band stays on the wheel - it's pig to keep putting your drive band on all the time so you try not to let it come off. The back maiden is twisted backwards just enough to allow the spindle whorl to be displaced out of the plastic holder just enough to get the bobbin on or off and then, one the replaced bobbin is on the spindle, the back maiden is turned back into position again to keep the spindle whorl in place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOO thank you Fran, much appreciated. Rowena (who is apparently knowns at Jo) is a member of the Guild also. Perhaps some sort of pass the parcel could be achieved?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not in your State Jo :-(( But I'm sure we might be able to figure something out if our Guild equipment officer can produce a spare maiden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, cunning - I had thought you were since you follow Tanya's Blog, but then, you follow mine as well so that was a rash assumption on my part.

    ReplyDelete