Monday, August 8, 2016

The day has been remarkably grey and nasty looking, but failing to deliver anything in the way of weather until after dark. Now it is windy and with occasional rain. Staying inside seemed a good idea, so the dishwasher had a thorough cleaning (running vinegar through it did the trick, then a quick wipe down of the more stubborn bits, followed by a load of dishes) and I did a bit on the new jumper. This is the stepped V Kaffe Fasset Jumper that took me forever to get the right combination of colours. It seems to be working well, though it will be a little brighter and summery-er than the weight of the jumper seems to warrant - I expect it will cheer up sorry winter days.

I have laid down the foundation rows of colour, none of which runs for more than 8 stitches. For those who knit it is called entarsia knitting (I think). As a result of the long stretches between repeats of a given colour, you stop and start again when next you get to it, instead of carrying the wool across the back like you do in Fair Isle. So the back of the work looks as if it is heavily fringed. I am knitting in the ends as I go or I would be forever stitching them in once it was done, but it still looks like a knotty tangle. By having shorter pieces of yarn, I can just fish the length out of the tangle as I need it and work fairly quickly, though now I have done the first four rows, and the next four will include the 'step' part of the stepped V, I will wait till tomorrow when my brain is clearer before I begin that one. Since I will be in the History Room that will not be too difficult to accomplish, as long as I remember to take the scissors.

Seb and I walked to upper Parattah this morning using the track Council built for the purpose. When you get to the top of the hill it just stops, but then so too does the track that comes into Parattah from Oatlands. Clearly the concept of connected trails remains a mystery to our local Council workers.

Seb enjoyed the new smells along the way, and I enjoyed the antics of the newborn lambs in the paddock alongside, so not all was lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment