Yesterday at the History Room was less than conducive to concentration. They had started work on the drain down the side to address the flooding we had had a few weeks back. The expectation was that there would be a large crew of volunteers turning up, so an equally large team of women turned up with food for the troops who failed to appear. One chap on a digger was hard at work so we fed him regularly and otherwise stood around engaged in desultory conversation. Then most left and I started to shut up shop, managing to get the flag tangled on the eaves and utterly irremovable. I will take the ladder with me tomorrow and see if I can get it down (weather permitting).
I say tomorrow as the Thursday person is away at present and I have said I will turn up - work permitting - and open up. As it turns out I do have to work tomorrow, but not for long and I should not be too late to open up the History Room.
There I will be re-knitting the new jumper. A combination of over-enthusiastic sizing and challenges encountered in dealing with a pattern that changes colours every six stitches has resulted in despair. Basically, to deal with the colour changes, I have been cutting shorter lengths of wool, which works well in preventing tangles. But it also means you are continually having to join in new lengths and knitting in the ends of the last length. Some of the 'knitting in' has failed miserably and left large holes in the garment. I would simply sew them up if it were not for the fact that the garment is clearly going to be way too big. But the graph that the pattern is on turns out to be a pattern as well - I am accustomed to the pattern being in words, but this is depicted graphically - so I will follow that, which contains rather fewer stitches across, and will make it easier to know where in the picture pattern to start doing what colour etc. Overall it looks rather good, so I will persist.
I have discovered the documentaries on SBS, so am present watching the death of Hitler - fascinating stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment