Thursday, August 25, 2016

 A feast of photos - first the wall paper (terrible photo, sorry) which, as you can see, is dainty feminine and entirely suitable for a bedroom (if not, perhaps, me). With antique white furniture and mantel, green walls and some new curtains it will look fresh and clean (at least till the dog vomits on the carpet or whatever).













Here is the wool I bought on the knitting trip which will be converted into a fair isle jumper with the addition of a little light brown wool to finish it off.
 The retaining wall at the bottom of the garden. The curve at the left will form the side of a ramp or wide shallow steps from the upper level created to bury the Septic, down to the natural ground level. The two tyres hide a sheoak and a native hop, the foundation of the little bush glen I will be creating. The right hand one is about a metre off the side boundary.
 This is what they look like - the hollow ones are the lower courses and the one with a solid bottom is the top course to provide a capping. As you can see the lugs on the bottom of the block slot into the hole of the one below it, forcing you to provide a 'batter' (slope) on the wall, and also providing some lateral strength.
 This is an extremely bad photo of the counter top I bought. Between late afternoon sun and the plastic coating on it, the phone's camera simply couldn't cope. But you can at least get the idea.
And here is a slightly earlier version of the aran jumper (actually now about 8 inches long). Once the first six rows had been re-knitted about six times, I found it easy to anticipate the pattern and now only have to reference it very rarely. Though I forgot to create one of the bobbles on the right hand side, so it is good it is the back of the jumper and down low.

My second trip to Hobart located some vinyl floor covering and the nice man came to measure up yesterday and provide a quote. This will not be going in for at least six months (I need a room to relocate the furniture in the kitchen/bathroom/laundry and that will not happen till I have the shed up and functioning). But the nice man has set aside my choice in floor covering and the quote (which was well below my budgeted allocation) holds good for 12 months so no pressure.

Plenty of time spent in the History Room due to the absence of one of the volunteers, and I was excited today when they delivered a notification of the NBN arriving soon (so soon, that the Telstra team will be in town tomorrow to sell us products ahead of the opposition). I will head in tomorrow to get the lowdown as while Parattah was mentioned on the flyer, none were delivered out here.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely wallpaper! We have similar retaining wall blocks here. We found them a bit heavy but easy to build with. Jealous about the N B N though! Ours won't be here till 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that wallpaper! And I do admire your energy and your Aran jumper.

    ReplyDelete