Struggling to remember what we used to eat in the 1960's? I know for me it was overcooked veges, meat and bread with every salad. But apparently it was not like that in the country...... I was at the Mill Cafe yesterday trying to cheer myself up with a slice of apple and walnut bread when I spotted a copy of the Weekly Times on the reading material shelves. An old copy. 1960 to be precise. Imagine my surprise when I found a bunch of garlic recipes there, and what is more, a recipe for Aeoli. And we all thought it was some super trendy food for bright young things!I was particularly impressed with the tractor prices - a really big one with a cultivator bar for under two thousand pounds!! Wish they were that cheap these days.
This was filling in time waiting for the sheets to arrive so I could finish off the cottages. In the end I gave up and went home, returning to town after lunch to finish off the rooms.
This morning the fog was so thick I lost sight of Seb while he was still attached to the lead (as was I).
I took this photo after our walk when it was starting to clear a bit (I could actually - just - see the edges of the oval from the middle by that stage). The drive in to clean the bank was rather fraught (there have been large deer on the road of late), but made it intact and by the time i got out it was clearing to a nice day.Dropped off some receipts to the Council chambers to get refunded for the catering for our workshop, and so home. Did a load of washing but as I was pegging it out it started spotting with rain and getting overcast once more, so it is now drying indoors a la the old fashioned way.
I am thinking of running for Council - what do you think? A fairly thankless task, but at least we might stop losing money to appeals we have no chance of winning. Council's latest decision (refusing a low-intensity organic poultry farm) was indefensible and will result in referral to the Tribunal for sure. It really only needed a few conditions to deal with the objections and would have been a great addition to our local economy. That and our mayor, when approached about setting up a Bendigo-bank in our soon-to-be-vacated ANZ bank building, couldn't see the point. Um. Keeping viable banking in our town is not something Council might be interested in????
So I am meeting a Hobart City Councillor when I next go to town to see what I might be letting myself in for.
Just what the Southern Midlands Council needs, me thinks.... Go shake them up girl. We need people with sense in our councils. My mother spent many years on the Devonport council and found it just what she needed for intellectual stimulation and to put her money where her mouth was as she had a lot to say for many years before she was voted in.
ReplyDeleteThat was my thinking after their spectacularly stupid decision on the chicken farm (which could have been conditioned to address the objections), they clearly need someone who at least has a rough idea about how these things work. And since most of them are over 70 and are technophobes they fail to see the point in technology. The mayor, when approached about establishing a Bendigo bank here to compensate for the impending loss of our ANZ bank, was bemused and could not see why we would need one ...... Time for some new ideas and 21st century thinking I think.
ReplyDelete