Sunday, June 8, 2014

Clearly food is  lot cheaper in the US. Since i had most of the stuff in stock, I popped into town to get the balance (10 items from a 24 item shopping list for the week/month. $50.00!! And that did not include the chicken legs, maple syrup or other expensive items - quelle horreur. What is it we are paying for? Or more to the point, how do they keep prices so low in the US when most veges are grown in California and shipped to all other parts of the States?

Anyway, I will still stick with this for a bit to see how it goes. Baked corn bread today and have beans in the slow cooker. This morning's pre-soaked porridge was delicious as well. Despite Americans having a reputation for supersizing everything, the porridge will only do me three meals, which I guess is why I am carrying a bit more weight than I should, lol.

Tonight's dinner is the least appetising of the week, being collard greens (whatever they are - I am using cabbage), beans (pinto beans cooked in the slowcooker with bacon) and corn bread. I made the cornbread in muffins which means I also ate two of them for lunch (and very tasty they are when hot and dripping with butter).

It will be another three hours before the beans are cooked as I did not check the recipe early enough in the day and they only went on at noon, so I will probably eat the cabbage and cornbread first and have the beans later.

Bit chilly here today with temps hovering around 6 degrees, but nice sunshine for all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment