Today was a bit more seasonal than yesterday, so I got out the chainsaw and cut up some wood, then set to with the whipper snipper.
Since we have been getting a fair bit of rain lately the regrowth is very enthusiastic, so I went over a bit that looked as if it was getting over-excited and then moved down into the orchard to cut out another tree for mulching. Managed to remove a bit of the bark in the process, but it is only the thin outer bark, and on half the trunk, so I think I have managed to get away with it. No damage to the next layer down which is where the sap runs. This tree was also on a bit of a lean (I suspect they all are), so was straightened up a bit, and a below-the-graft sucker removed before mulching it with the cuttings. This was later topped up with the latest stable waste from Judy's when I went to recover my wheelbarrow.
The full face mask was unpacked, but when I put it on I discovered I could not see through it. I later discovered that there were layers of thin protective film on both sides of it. Now that has been removed I can see quite well, so I will use it tomorrow or Sunday when next I get out there and cut.
The wood having been transferred to the now-empty barrow it was carted up to the house and loaded beside the chimney and is now burning merrily in the fireplace. I had decided I could get away without a fire, but then it suddenly turned chilly once the sun went down, and lighting one became a necessity. I will pop some porridge on before I head to bed and let it cook overnight.
No comments:
Post a Comment