Still haven't seen hide nor hair of the plasterers and given their propensity to knock off at between 3 and 4 while working here i have to assume that their definition of 'after work' would suggest they are not coming today either. I do hope they don't imagine I will be meekly sitting around every evening on the off-chance they turn up.
The internet service today is beyond useless, so not sure when I will be able to post this. Still, at least I can get it typed...
So - today - I had a huge sleep in - like till after 8, so was only just out of the shower and dressed when Mick called in with some marmalade from Jean. This was an exchange, but he did not realise this so I had to make sure he stuck around long enough for me to extract some of the brandied cherries. He was glad he did though and seemed quite thrilled when he saw what he had been waiting for.
Then I headed down to the orchard to water the trees. I seem to have lost one, despite all the rain we have had, as the soil seems to retain moisture in patches, rather than all over. Still the rest of them seem fairly healthy. They have now had their summer haircut too, but I have yet to make up the blood and bone bags to hang off them. The apples seem to be developing nicely and I should get about a dozen if they manage to hang in there for long enough. The tomatoes persist in staying green, but i have tried the squeeze test to check if they are green varieties and no such luck.
While pulling up weeds I got pinged by a bee on the throat, so it's a good thing I am not allergic. Was just dealing with that when someone wandered down the lane to introduce himself. It was John Molyneaux the mythical painter of Parattah who I have been trying to find for some time now. I gave his wife a message at the dog trials and it seems to have paid off. He will come back with a ladder to have a look at the boards in question before preparing me for the shock of his quote, lol. I gather he is quite meticulous but rather eccentric in his approach so it may yet be Spring before any paint goes on, but fingers crossed.
Final visitor for the day was Jonno come to collect his trestles and scaffolding - a bit of a relief I have to say as I was very aware of their value and vulnerability to theft. They can be returned when we go to paint the rest of the weatherboards so that is OK. I sent him off with some apricot and ginger conserve and chutney, so he will be a happy little camper when he gets home.
So, sitting here eating cheese and chives dip on water crackers and contemplating the latest missive from next door. Not even sure it requires a response, but will check it out fully before filing it.
No comments:
Post a Comment