The plan was to make brandied cherries today, so I set about clearing space in the kitchen to do this but by the time i had finished I had been sidetracked into hanging the doors on the cupboard in the alcove. This involved applying the iron-on adhesive melamine strip and trimming it to fit before hanging the doors. One hinge did not want to attach itself regardless of what I did, so eventually I removed the bit attached to the cupboard, manouevred it into position on the hinge, then screwed it back in place - phew.
Then I ran out of reading material (crisis, the library does not re-open till Monday afternoon) so had to hunt around for something to read during my breaks. The first option was my gardening bible which told me to pinch out the leaders on the tomatoes this month, so I did that and picked three tomatoes with a view to bringing them indoors and testing Peter Cundall's theories.
Since i was in gardening mode, combined with clearing up the kitchen mode, I also planted up the punnet of basil that i bought yesterday - six plants in pots in the kitchen and the last one bunged in the garden alongside the tomatoes.
And then procrastination set in in a big way so I designed a cover to embroider for the bee records, cut it out, traced on the design and started stitching it. Given the lack of reading material I expect it will be finished tonight, if I can find an image of a queen bee for the spine.
While i was about this lot a car pulled up over the road and the occupants indulged in a good look so I wandered outside with the dog to see who they were. Turns out it was Beth, with her mum. Beth is Lucas's girlfriend and suffered from the insecurities of the being the non-family member who tags along when Barbara and the kids come up, so was unsure of her welcome. But she and her mum were invited in for a look around and went on their merry way once more.
Then time to cook dinner - pork cacciatore tonight using pork chops - very tasty, but I don't think I will do it again - it seems a terrible way to treat lovely pork chops. Maybe next time some chunks of pork instead - once i get a side for the freezer, that is.
The black hen who had the (presumed) close encounter with the predator remains nervous and prefers to spend her time inside the shed. I have rarely seen her out and about still. So the poor girl must have had a nasty fright I assume. Glad she is safe though. The rest of the menagerie seems fit and well though and the dog, as always, is irrepressible.
No comments:
Post a Comment