Tuesday, November 16, 2010



Had another windfall today - quite a few strawberry plants. They will be goig in to some of the larger pots in the short term. There was a small tank round that came out of the chicken run during the big cleanup which I plan to cut down a bit and use for my bay tree. While I wait for the bay tree to exceed its present 30cm height, I will plant the strawberries around it. Then when the fruit is coming on the netting can be draped over the top of the bay tree to cover the strawberries (OK, I will also use some stakes so as not to drag down the top of the bay tree).

All inspired after yet another day of stitching away at this long-stitch embroidery (sigh) I did the rounds of the garden and took some pix. Some of the hedge - the tall plant is the medlar and it is flanked by some of the slower hawthorns, and these are the faster growing ones. The one to the right of centre has put on growth to the point it is four times its original size!

Also the chicken - how cute is this chicken? I begin to think there may be hope it is a girl, but a bit soon to tell, especially as its parentage is so dubious.
As you can see there are quite a few hens to choose between as the potential mother. Sadly, I suspect the welsummers snuck an egg in while I was not looking and the chicken is the result. They were the one breed I did not plan to perpetuate ... Oh well.

Irish Stew going on the stove tonight I think - might rummage for some carrots in the garden when I go down to pick the relevant herbs ...

No comments:

Post a Comment