Saturday, November 6, 2010

Another lovely day here in Paradise and I actually managed to get the mower started this time. It refused last time, so presumably had thought it over and agreed to work on this occasion. So all that area that was once chook run and is now lawn, actually looks as if that is the intention. It occurred to me that it being one of the few relatively level spots in the yard that is out of the way of caravan manoeuvres, I might actually temporarily dedicate it to stacking the various piles of timber currently flanking the caravan so I can get on with selling it some time this decade.

The area having now been cleared and mowed, it will also be a good spot to put the bee boxes so will pop one down there tonight and see what happens from next door.

I also got stuck in weeding the hedge, which, as you can see from the section that is yet to be dealt with, needed it badly. Since stuff seems to be growing out of the side of the ditch an up over the planting area, I have stuffed straw down behind the fence so that it forms a sort of compacted mass of straw. This will have the added benefit of retaining moisture along that wall.
The various plants seem to be pretty healthy, though there are one or two gaps. Whether this is because they did not 'take' or whether I have pulled them out along with the weeds, remains a mystery. These two are a Kentish Cherry and a hawthorn.

The chick has been allowed to become more active and he and his mother have made it their hobby to dig through the straw and bury their food and water bowls on a regular basis. I can suspend them from the ceiling, but it is such a long drop I would be concerned they may cause injury if they were to be knocked aswaying ... He is rather pretty as you can see.
One of the fencing contractors called and he and his wife came up for a drive. He is providing a quote using the format I have provided (thought it would be easier to have all the same information in the same order on all the quotes, for me and her next door. She scurried over to her over the road and both stood in full view in the front yard huddled together speculating as to why this man was rocking the boundary fence back and forth. After he left, the dog and I popped into Oatlands for some dinner (for me) and then back home, chooks fed and the fire laid for lighting. It is, however, still too warm to bother so not sure when that will happen.

What's on tomorrow? Not sure. There is an all-town garage sale in Oatlands, so that might be fun. Or I can wrestle the rest of the mowing under control, or work out how to start the line trimmer (which also refused to cooperate this morning) or heck, I could even paint the internal doors that still have not been hung because i have been too preoccupied with other matters.

Or perhaps I will be working out how to separate the geese from the chooks. Rastus was out this evening, briefly. Given his location at the end of the hawthorn hedge, I have to assume he was cornered and 'goosed' and flew up in the air to avoid attack. Bother. He happily returned to his run when I opened the gate and there were no dramas from next door so presumably she had not noticed. Damage done? a bit of the mulch has been scratched to one side.

No comments:

Post a Comment