Monday, May 14, 2018

A foggy morning cleared so a (relatively) sunny day so some washing as done - looking at the forecast it may be a while before that is a viable option again. Once that was on the line I headed into Oatlands to catch up with a friend who has been away for some time and who, as usual, talked for hours. Having prised myself away from there I went to the shop and came home again. By that time the mist had started to close in again so the washing came indoors and I sat down with the report on the East Coast development. The heritage report did specify that it addressed only European heritage, but given that it is a significant First Contact site, I would have hoped that might have made a mention, but no.

It described extensive gardens which predated the house by up to 15 years, and named 'home' paddocks lined with trees (which are still clearly demarked (if somewhat patchily) but the actual conservation planning element addressed only the house (not even the associated outbuildings), so it was a bit of a disappointment unless you are an architect. So far I have five omissions we want to see addressed - Garden History, First Contact, liaison with Traditional Owners re undoubtedly extensive significance (they only mention archaeology). The site is beside a lagoon that hosts migratory birds and set between two fairly significant and unusual mountain features, so I would be very very surprised if there are no indigenous values, creation myths etc associated with it. I will draft up the rest of the letter then re-read the report to see if I have missed something but I don't think I have.

This had me so engrossed I almost missed Dr Who, but caught myself in time, and having cleaned the bank, I will be dining soon, and stoking up the fire for a bit more warmth.

No comments:

Post a Comment