There is a certain unkind pleasure to find that some of those who have sat uncomprehending when I commented on my line of buckets have suffered some flooding of their own as a result of the recent rains. I of course, have been rather more sympathetic about their problems as I know how it feels.
The advent of daylight savings was a little unexpected - I did have a half-heard comment yesterday to suggest it was imminent, but it seems to be a little earlier this year for some reason - perhaps because the year is passing so rapidly.
Lots of running around, but not much achieved - though I did remember to clean the bank today, so presumably still have a job, lol.
Jo have you thought of buildig your own chook house? You're a handy person and you don't need much iron or wire for a decent sized chook shelter and a bit of a run in a securely fenced garden. I'm not as handy as yu and i'm in the process of building a new chook house using 5 poles rescued form other projects and a bit of tin form the P.U.S. pile down the back. The poles are going into those stirrup mounts set into some fast setting concrete in a hole dug int he ground and then I'll just uses some pine (found thrown out at the tip) for the frames on which to nail the tin and the skillion roof frame. The yard will be star picket posts as the yard they are in is fox proof and i just need this pen of chooks to be secure at night but they can be let out during the day.
ReplyDeleteThe thought has occurred to me - in fact i even have a set of plans. But the materials list adds up to almost $1000, and so sets the standard for costing pre-prepared sheds. While the ones i am looking at are rather too small to accommodate more than two hens on a full-time basis, they would be fine for up to five if they were out on day-release. It has occurred to me that I could keep the run in the 'house yard' and thereby avoid hysterics from next door as she would not be aware the hens were on the loose during the day, and even if she were, the six foot fences would be considered sufficient protection if she were silly enough to complain to council. Seb would be an issue but he is a smart dog and I am sure could be trained to distinguish between 'our' chooks and those that are unwelcome, though of course could not be left un-supervised. And the vege patch will be in a recessed area that I had already planned to fence off from Seb, so they could not harm my garden either. It is all a bit in the air at present as I am in two minds about keeping them anyway due to the difficulties they present if I go away.
ReplyDelete