Friday, September 30, 2016

Well that was a good way to test the reliablity of the new roof! 40mm overnight and the place is awash. Indoors however, the only stray drops have come down the chimney as is their right. Such a nice feeling! It was disconcerting last night listening to gushing water in certain parts of the extension as the newly installed guttering discharged onto the roof of the skillion, but after one panic-stricken trip outdoors I came to enjoy that too - think of all that extra water heading into the tank.

The winds were not as dreadful as I had anticipated, and from the East at that, so the iron was never in danger, though the back door has swollen once more. If these winds keep up it should be back to normal by tomorrow.

My trip to town started at 8 as i had to drop off a bicycle that is to be transformed into a yarn-bombing exercise, then headed down to have my head read. It turns out her original hypothesis was that the task would be more difficult for older people. Her 'youth' participants were Uni students, so a self-selected group of older people basically gave her parity as people with an academic background are more likely to put their hands up for this sort of thing apparently.

Turns out age has no impact on performance (well no surprises there) but actually it is related to one's ability to complete various cognition exercises. These were partly those shape progression things (circle with hexagon in it, etc) but some were rather more challenging for this innumerate being. Repeat a string of numbers back to her in order, then in the next set, in reverse order, and in the final set, in numerical order, and, where a number is repeated, repeat it in the recitation also. Talk about a tough call before coffee!

From there to the sandblasting place, and then on to Bunnings where I was able to get the coving I need to extend the dimensions of the triangle that is to mounted above the door (under the central gully gutter), and two pieces of square section to finish off the openings for the hearth stones, before they are rendered.

I also checked out their corner units that I had fallen for and found they are 1 metre long which presents problems on one of the lengths of benches I was thinking of inserting it into, but which may fit very nicely in the other section. Basically there is a stove on one wall, and sink on the other and of course these are immutable, so it has to fit into the available space (with minimum need for fillers, and no waste of existing space). But from the corner to the oven has a filler in it at present which can be swapped out with the other narrower filler and so it should all come together (there being no law that says the corner cupboard has to run all the way to the wall in the corner). Anyway I will get some graph paper and play with shapes for a bit. I actually want several units from the Kaboodle range to retrofit into existing cabinets, but they don't come cheap. The corner thingy I want is $499.00 and that does not include the cabinet or the door (plus door furniture etc). I did discover that they have pull out garbage bins for around 50.00 so they would be OK once I move the relevant cupboard to its intended location.

My strategy of taking a scarf with me to the experiment was a good one, but by the time i got home it had glued itself to my head and had to be soaked off in the shower (along with copious amounts of shampoo). So I didn't feel like going in to clean the bank tonight and will do it tomorrow when I go to clean the cottages. Meanwhile dressing gown and ugg boots in front of the fire sound like a much better idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment