Thursday, September 15, 2016

Yesterday's trip to Hobart was a little expensive what with getting the doona recovered (and restuffed, as apparently it needed more filling), returning the lock to Bunnings and adding two more timber benchtops to the back of the ute, as well as collecting the animals. The run home failed to beat the rain but at least it was only drizzling when I got here. So the animals were left in the ute as I did my closest approximation to scurrying (those benchtops are both heavy and awkward) into the house with my booty. This meant that when the animals were finally unleashed they were able to enjoy my full attention - at least till I had to go clean the bank.

The roofer rang during the course of the day to say the materials would be delivered this morning and he would be there by 8:30. All went according to promise, but unfortunately the heavens had unleased 60mm overnight and it was still falling, so the roofer went home again. The delivery happened at five in the morning! I woke to the sound of male voices outside the house discussing the scaffolding down the side of the house (they were trying to work out if they had the right address). Assuming they were planning to steal the scaffolding I wrapped myself in my dressing gown and dignity, opened the front door and asked if there was anything I could do to help. Soon sorted out the understanding and left them to do what they had to do (which fortunately they did remarkably quietly). Poked my head out the door once daylight arrived and found a cardboard box clearly marked 'Keep Dry' in the middle of the guttering (which was deep in water). Fortunately nothing critical was damaged.

Then the window man called in, looked at the window and told me I could fix it myself as there was nothing wrong with the timber. So I will do that once I have a shed and it is not mid-spring.

Meanwhile the rain slowed a little this afternoon, so I headed in to pack the linen that had arrived at the cottages, collected some meat and other ingredients and came home to cook myself a morroccan beef dish involving oranges and prunes. And very tasty it was too. Photos of the flooding tomorrow if I am still upright as both the painter and the roofer have promised to be here to take advantage of the forecast sunny weather.

1 comment: