Well I got nothing done that was on the list today at all. The plan was i would spend the day doing paperwork as it was going to be raining and horrid. Instead it was sunny and breezy and the rain arrived in isolated splodges so was not a problem at all.
I had recently rediscovered a plastic bag containing three unidentified large bulbs and some roots of ornamental ginger that my sister had given me ages ago and which I had put in a cool dark spot and completely forgotten about. The bulbs have all sent up large groups of leaves (still unidentifiable) and the ginger had started to look a little wizened. So I plonked the bulbs into pots to await an identification before deciding on a permanent home. The ginger I have cut up into smaller pieces, all of which are quite juicy inside still, and also put into pots as flower gardening is still fairly low on the priority list (though I will be trying for a spring display this year).
So having sorted through the plant pots to identify suitable ones for the bulbs, I then started filling some with soil for other purposes. First a whole bunch has been planted up with seeds of clove pinks. Then the ones that had the basil in them (now long defunct) are filled with cornflower seeds (that may change if I manage to get the other side of the path dug tomorrow, as I can then plant some of them in situ so to speak, which is apparently their preferred option). Then I ran out of potting soil which was the perfect excuse to go into town and get some more (and some chocolate to maintain my strength). And of course while i was getting that I found some packets of seed for holly hocks, sweet peas and foxgloves so they came home too.
Then I cut up some of the billions of milk bottles i have lying around in case they come in handy and so made more seedling trays which are planted up with stocks.
All that made me realise I would need a bed to plant all this out in. So I went round the front where the beds either side of the path had reverted to lawn, and carefully dug over one of them, and widened it to about 500mm to provide a bit of extra planting room once the seedlings are ready for transplanting. Will dig over the other side tomorrow, if my muscles agree to that approach. The second bed has a few random iris corms in it, so I can redistribute these and the gladdies across both sides of the path now. Then dig an enlargement to the bed to encompass the crab apple trees. Then I can erect a trellis for the sweet peas behind the crabs, which will work with the crabs to provide some minor wind protection for the taller plants (though I expect I will have to stake them as well).
Then Jean popped in with an armload of Avocados that she swears she purchased for three for a dollar. Not sure I believe her, but am about to embark on an avocado feast in a couple of days. Then Jane (a fellow census person) called in for a chat as well. So it has been a fairly social day today.
Then to top it all off, I have had an email inviting me to start work with the heritage office ASAP. That will have to be from Monday week as I have census-type stuff to deal with next week. How nice though. I should now be able to pay for the other outside side of the roof now which will give me guttering all round. Yay. Maybe even an extra tank ....
Not a bad effort considering flowers were not a priority. It's gonna look marvelous,
ReplyDeleteDeb
It will be if I can get the other side dug before I start work. Since today I am in Launceston, tomorrow at a friend's son's engagement party and Sunday sorting out my census colleague's stuff ups around my patch (apparently map-reading is not her strong point) I doubt that will be possible. Especially as I will also have to fit in finishing off the paperwork, getting some meals cooked for the freezer and making sure i have something to wear when I start work on Monday ...
ReplyDelete