Sunday, August 28, 2011

End of another week at the salt mines. great fun I have to say, I am really enjoying it. The dog is also enjoying doggy day care. However the concept of companion animal seems to be going out the window as he is too knackered at the end of the day to do anything other than curl up on the back seat of the ute, and sleep all the way home. Then sleep once more when he is indoors. They feed him as well which is great. Smidgen decided the dog was getting far too much attention so came down with crystals in the urine with a resultant emergency trip to the vet and all that entails. So poor old Esther spent a day all by herself and was deeply upset. The things we do ...

So getting back to the back door, I was originally considering some alsinite on the back pergola that has not yet been built and which is a fair way down the list of 'things to do' but that rather defeats the purpose of the structure which is essentially to grow edible stuff on. I may yet have to do that, since the proposed solution is not perfect by any means. It will, however go a long way toward preventing rain from driving in onto the doors and making them swell. Here it is, and any suggestions are welcomed.

The existing internal wall affected has no wiring in it that I know of - the switches are on the other side of the internal door. The external wall between to the two doors has the exterior light and the 15 amp exterior switch in it, but since there is no modification intended to it, that should be OK as well. I will have to buy another sliding window for the laundry, and the kitchen will suffer a short-term plaster deficit, but apart from that it should be sweet.

I thought that i could cut out the bottom sill of the existing door and tile the entrance porch, then hang exterior doors on the two openings, one into the laundry, the other into the kitchen. The entryway that is presently occupied by the back door to receive a screen door with a solid bottom, and the other to be backfilled and a new sliding window inserted. The window that is presently there can be re-used elsewhere. What do you think? I still have a problem with the front door sticking, but that is less critical, and perhaps can be resolved once I find photos of similar houses to mine and see what they have done to deal with the situation.

The hinges on both doors are on suitable parts of the doors to enable their relocation to the new positions without having to muck around changing locks around as well.

What else? Nothing much. Apparently my culinary skills are appreciated at work as they have scoffed all my muffins I baked last week and i have to cook something for tomorrow now. And it is apparently planning to snow tomorrow morning which will make an interesting change from the sunshine of the last week. Will throw some straw onto the newly planted seedlings I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment