Wednesday, May 13, 2020

I agree EMW - the downturn will be with us a long time and it is great to have a bit of money available to allow me to replace missing items, and to build up some savings. I might have to keep them in the mattress because with CBA's 26% losses in the quarter I lack confidence in them to be here for the long haul either. Besides, spending it is going to support local businesses (OK, K Mart isn't a local business, but everything else I have spent lately has gone to one). I will however be setting aside a chunk every fortnight to pay for the fences, the installation of the awning and a few other matters like the countertops etc.

Today I got two loads of washing done so tomorrow it will be sheets and doona top and the brand new sheets going on the bed! I love the luxury of new good quality sheets. And since they last so long feel no compunction in buying them (on special). It does however remind me I should get a new doona cover too. I prefer to have three of each so I can have one on the bed, one in the cupboard and the other on the line.

Cooking was confined to two batches of pastici which is the Greek equivalent of lasagne. It involves layers of macaroni and meat sauce and the white sauce has an egg in it. The recipe I have did not mention any herbs but I added some origano as that is a familiar greek flavour (rigani equivalent).

And I applied the sample paint to two areas of wall to see what it looks like. I am liking it a lot actually, so will proceed with what remains of the pot tomorrow.

All this cooking has laid bare the deficiencies of the pantry which have accumulated over the years, so I am starting a list of herbs and spices, etc that require replacement which I can incrementally replace over the next few months. And with the new kitchen installed I will even have a place to put them, haha.


1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a yummy meal! I will look it up. We are thinking of replacing our old blown in ceiling insulation (probably only R2 for some new insulation which in Perth now has a standard R4.5 rating. Hopefully this will keep us comfortable without spending a lot of money on heating and cooling.Yes I have worried about the safety of banks but there is so little that is safe at the moment. I love good sheets too, and it always feels great to slide into bed made with freshly laundered sheets

    ReplyDelete