Thursday, August 10, 2017

 Despite the relatively mild weather of late, the fire has been lit every evening at least. The dog and the cat have taken to relaxing in front of it (when Seb is not comfortably curled up on my bed). He has found he needs a pillow for comfort and Smidgen is apparently happy to oblige. Billy, on the other hand, tends to attach himself limpet like to my lap and give them both the evil eye.
 This is the new Jumbo Flyer I bought - it came with four bobbins so plenty of spools to fill. The remnants of the previous owner's spinning have been discarded as I could not work out what she was trying to achieve.
 Here is the infamous vest - such a pity it does not fit. Oh well.
And this is sock one of two - the other is on the needles with a cuff and about six rows of knitting done. It is a simple six stitch repeat - K1, K2tog, YO, K1, YO, K2togTBL, and repeat. Alternate rows are knit. But all the YO and K2tog one way or another really slows down progress. I expect I will persist until I have more yarn spun so I can try making another vest - one that actually fits.

Today in the History Room saw two pairs of visitors plus my hypochondriac jolly chap who keeps me updated with his diary dates and health issues as he researches madly while failing to make a donation. I planned to mention it today but his wife turned up with four books for us to sell (four dollars worth in total) so it seemed churlish - I will speak up next time.

Steph came in and we discussed the need to tidy up some of the displays - she will come in next Tuesday and we will have a go at one bay, thinning out, making it more coherent, considering interpretive signage etc.


4 comments:

  1. It is a pity about the vest. All that work, and it looks great. I love the pic of the dog resting on the cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dog and that cat get along very well together as Smidgen was on good terms with Shadow and transferred his affection once the new dog arrived. Not so much Billy who still hisses at him. But Billy has Seb bluffed so gets away with it, which poor old Esther never did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on that vest Jo. shame that it doesnt fit you but no doubt someone else will just love to have it. The upside of it not fitting is now you've ironed out all potential problems for when you do your next one which will fit you because you'd do a swatch and do your maths and make it to your measurements ;-)) If you're interested, I can give you some references for the books that make doing that sort of stuff a breeze???

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be useful thanks Fran. I am pretty sure it was down to the fact the yarn was of varying weights. I did compensate for this by using smaller needles but apparently not enough! Haha. This time I will try to be less greedy about getting started on the actual knitting and spin a more even yarn - I might even check its wpi! :-)
    But something that explains it all in ways comprehensible to mathematical dunces would be very useful!

    ReplyDelete