More beanies have been knitted, and i have managed to turn the heel on the sock successfully. I tried while at the History Room, but having left most of my stock at home in an effort to reduce the quantity of things I carry in and out, I had left behind the bag that contains useful things like crochet hooks (for picking up stitches), needle gauge etc. So it had to wait till I got home to start the gusset. And that had to wait till I had adequate light to be doing tiny things with dark yarn.
The night before last my evening was disturbed by loud neighings from the stallion next door. When he was still not getting any attention from the owners, I headed out to see what was going on. Got part way up the drive and heard galloping hooves on the road. So I poked my head around the corner and spotted a car that had just pulled up. Asked them if they had seen a horse and he responded that he was down there to talk to the owners as his friend had received reports of a horse on the road. Told him to wait while I got my boots on and a torch and lead, and headed into the fray. Fortunately it was the filly, not the stallion that was out and she had put herself into the pig sty. So we shut the gate to the sty and congratulated ourselves on getting her under control (the neighbours were out).
I then took Seb out to stretch his legs and realised the other end of the pig sty had been dismantled for some reason and she could just walk back out again. So Seb went back inside and I headed over to see what i could do. The section of fencing was just laid back on the ground, but so too was a coil of wire and the filly had her foot stuck in that.....
So taking my life into my hands I ran my hand down her back leg (while she was nibbling contemplatively at my back) and tried to lift her foot out of it. Naturally she has not been handled enough to know about picking up her foot, but cooperated eventually. Once in the air the leg waved around wildly, but fortunately more by way of objection than by way of deliberate kicking and the wire remained attached.
So I patiently bent it back and forth till it broke and she was free. She has also not been taught to 'walk on' so it took a bit of persuading to get her to move forward so I could get the wire out of the yard, reinstate the fence, use a bit more of the wire to secure the fence to a convenient post and go back indoors.
Next morning I had a bit of a sleepin so she was back in with the stallion by then and no word from them next door, or any attempt to check or improve the fencing. With the result that this morning when I awoke I found this in the back yard.....
She was not feeling terribly cooperative so rather than being bitten or kicked, I went next door and knocked them up to come and get her. Now, I don't know about you, but if my horse (or any other stock) had been in a neighbour's yard, once I got them back where they belonged I would be back to check if any damage had been done. But no. So I guess I will be restacking the bales of mulch hay that she was eating when I get a moment.
I did get to the Guild today, if a little later than expected, and their shop is rather dangerous. I bought a moorit fleece (oops) and had fun spinning it for a couple of hours with the ladies and gents, before heading to Bunnings and other destinations and getting home in time to walk the dog before dark, and get the fire lit again.




Rural adventures! You have an interesting life! Like the beanie by the way!
ReplyDelete:-(( Sympathy sent your way re your neighbours.....
ReplyDelete