How time flies!. Thursday last week I attended an evening meeting which proposed to establish a Midlands branch of Tasmanian Women in Agriculture. I was the only attendee who is not in agriculture, but at least I half qualified, haha. It was all very sociable and seems to be a good idea. It is being driven by young women - mainly in their thirties - but has younger and older members and I know a fair few of them so it's all good. There is also a move to re-establish the Kempton branch of the CWA but that is a bit further afield so I am not sure if I am keen on that. Good to see the younger folk bringing a resurgence of interest in social networks in the country.
It was a wet rainy night so I nearly didn't go, but at least it was dry on the way home.
I headed off to Tunbridge Market on Sunday, having completely failed to book a space, but have done so for next month so that's all good, and this weekend having forecasts around the seven degree mark I am not too keen on finding out whose market is on then.
Today I was at a meeting of Council to discuss the proposed re-zoning of land associated with the proposed distillery. There is once again a mob of nay-sayers and so much scuttlebutt around the town I figured it was the only way I would find out what was going on. I approached my preferred mayoral candidate to ask him to run and was pleased to discover he would be doing just that - he just hasn't gotten around to letting people know yet.
Meanwhile I have been run off my feet with neighbourly duties - new neighbours in the house up Austral Park Drive had come up to spend a week cleaning and painting before bringing their two year old into the place. Their kitchen sink was blocked, so my hose went up to sort that out for them (several feet of strange items emerged from the pipes!). And them over the road have blown up their motor (and are most indignant their comprehensive insurance won't buy them a new one), so yesterday I took her into town for various errands and to talk to our local mechanic and today I took him into the hospital to have his dressings changed. How he got home was his business as I had things to do in town.
Gordon (also over the road) disappeared some months ago and rumour finally located him in New Norfolk. So I phoned him yesterday to find out if he planned to come home. He is not the sort of person who would settle comfortably into a nursing home environment and if the only objection to him coming home had been that he lived alone I was quite happy to take responsibility for keeping an eye on him, but it turned out more complicated than that, and he has already decided to move to a unit closer to where his daughters live. He will be up this weekend so I will have a chance to say goodbye. I wish I had keys to the place though since the forecast for the weekend means the house will be unbearably cold, and I could let myself in to light the woodburner for them in advance of their arrival. Oh well.
Amazing how time flies just getting through the daily round - it always surprises me.
ReplyDeleteNice interactions with the neighbours Jo. We all need each other sometimes.
ReplyDeleteI took 19 people (my photography group) up your way last Wednesday the 6th as part of a mystery tour. We photographed around the lake, had lunch at the cafe with all the film memorabilia then ventured out to Fonthill to do the old farm buildings then back home via Woodsdale. A terrific day was had.
ReplyDeleteIt's very picturesque at this time of year. You should let me know when you are up here though! Shame I missed you.
DeleteThere is a new cafe in the newsagency - the boys decided to become our substitute tourist information centre and have branched out into food. Some luscious cheesecakes to be had there next time you are in town. They also plan to do desserts - we reminisced about the old Beaujangles before it went commercial so I have some hopes of cream and chocolate overdose!
Sounds good! I'm usually up there with a mob. One day, I might bring the group to your town.
DeleteEeek!
ReplyDelete