I have spent the last two days in a state of anticipation waiting for a response from Steph or her indignant arrival in the history room today, but just received an email from her telling me she has contacted the author who is happy to meet and discuss (so much for being president and getting obedience from the Secretary).
This may be a better result for all of that as I have been considering over the last two days how to deal with the meeting and doing a little more research off my own bat. Basically it's my opinion that I am saving him from making a publicly humiliating mistake as he has assumed the author of the other document was a professional historian (I have since checked this and she is a geologist), which is untrue, and also accounts for her basic rookie errors. Her speciality, on the Council, is mining heritage so her involvement in the listing or re-registration of buildings is zero. His errors of assumption about how the heritage council works, together with his errors of assumption about the effect of heritage listing on property value, together with his demonstrated ignorance of the actual assessment process would make him look very silly indeed if there were a public showdown, so hopefully that argument will silence any bombast.
Personally if i were asked to remove one of the two pubs in the relevant village it would be the first one, not the other as the first one is a dime-a-dozen 1870s version and the other one is a rare 1820s model.
Today being my birthday was spent watching rain pouring down from the History Room. I did complete the 'increase' rows of the sleeve I have been sporadically knitting for some months now. And the dog and I were drenched on our walk on my return. I am packing my stuff together in anticipation of heading off to Barb's tomorrow - I have an appointment at the Uni as I am participating in another study, then a few shops (including Fullers) to visit, and pet food and other such errands before heading to Divali for lots of curry.
Nawww, Happy Birthday Jo!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday for yesterday Jo.
ReplyDelete