It seems I have been derelict in my responsibilities for far too long. Sorry folks.
I have been busy doing all sorts of things like going to markets and meetings to raise my profile and sitting at home busily knitting to finish off the first side of the jumper. I have done this successfully which is all good. Dog and cats are all fine and healthy and patient transport has been involved too.
Yesterday it became apparent that Council has been up to something terrible and so between driving patients to Hobart and dropping them off to their destinations I have been chasing up sources of information to find out what happened and how.
Chauncy Vale is a nature reserve at Bagdad. It was first established by an author - Nan Chauncy - and her husband after various failed attempts at farming and orcharding. Nan wrote some of the iconic tales of Tasmanian life during and immediately following on from the War. Her characters grew up at the same pace we did and visits to the reserve are a part of most Tasmanian children's childhood. It is a place on the Tasmanian Heritage Register and is administered by a committee which includes the daughter of the family. The committee also includes two Councillors.
Some months ago the reserve was closed to the public as Council was carrying out work to deal with erosion that was undercutting one of the picnic sheds. The results of the work are horrendous. The have filled in the creek course for part of its length and have created a new channel which is not formed properly, has near vertical banks and no stabilisation. There's an article in the Tasmanian Times showing images of the destruction (there is no other word for it).
I contacted Council staff to get some clarification and was assured it was a 'storm in a teacup', that it was fully supported by the committee, that in a couple of years no-one would be able to tell the difference. I was not satisfied with this response, so I contacted Heritage Tas which was oblivious to the works. I have also contacted DPIPWE and await their reply. Permits and approvals would have been required from both before work commenced. Bit late now.
Having witnessed the methods by which Council obtains committee approval for things they wish to do (ie, feed them bullshit, create obstacles for any alternatives and threaten no action if their method is not supported), their claims to committee support are dubious at best.
I have also contacted a local councillor. I phoned and when there was no response sent a text seeking his intervention. His response was to text back with a request I supply him with the name of a competent conservation professional and recommend funding sources. I texted back asking for an email address so I could elaborate on my concerns - a request he refused. I continue to await a phone call from him.
So this, folks, is why I am standing for Council. In the mean time I am pursuing my inquiries and drafting a set of 'questions on notice' for Council's response. This will obtain a written response (assuming it is not 'lost' in transit). I have also requested an opportunity to address the meeting. I am sitting on the letter as I consider its wording and also who it is that should be copied into the email. Wish me luck.
Of course I wish you luck! Councils need careful watching -and what better place than from the member's own seat?
ReplyDeleteI was dismayed to see the destruction when Nick McKim (I think) put some photos on Facebook. The council must be held to account. Go get 'em, girl!
ReplyDeleteWell so far the Heritage Council is on their tail, and after the photos I sent them today, hopefully DPIPWE will be having a word too.
ReplyDelete