Yesterday we went to the Brighton Show. I have not been there since I was a child and we were exhibiting goats. Oddly enough we found ourselves sandwiched between the winning fleeces and the goats so I had a chance to catch up with the latest breeds. There are two I have not seen before - Australian Brown and Australian Black which look remarkably like solid-coloured Toggenburgs and British Alpines respectively. Not sure what the point was as their milk and butterfat production seems pretty consistent with the black and white/brown and white versions. Unfortunately the handlers were not terribly forthcoming in response to my inquiries, so I am no wiser than I was before.
Six hours of spinning seems to get through a heck of a lot of wool, and I am now bereft of tops. In desperation I got out a long sausage of fleece that was a very early failed effort, and have respun it into something a little more 'like'. At least all that spinning seems to have ironed out a lot of the issues I was having, and we got to meet fellow-spinners from South Hobart who were good company.
Between us we had electric, traditional, and various other wheels so it was a good display. And one of us was knitting up home spun and dyed wool also.
Today being overcast, showery and windy I decided to skein up two more bobbins worth of yarn - the earlier of the two will be set aside for use in that distant future time when I am no longer able to spin chunky yarn without trying extra hard, the other will be knitted up using the same pattern as last time to see what changes are apparent. I will probably do that tomorrow while at the History Room.
All good fun, but it seems to be a little bit obsession-making.
No comments:
Post a Comment