Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Well, today was not quite as planned - I only got home from cleaning cottages at 4:30. The boss told me there was only one cottage coming in tonight and to prioritise it, which I did and cleaned the other two (seven beds in all), but in between times, I stopped for lunch, chatted to some passing friends, took some tourists on a tour of the cottages, dropped into sewing etc. Then as I was finishing off the last cottage I checked for the name of the person coming into the cottage I had prioritised and discovered that while I had no name for that cottage, I did have names for the other two. This included the half-cleaned one I was sitting outside while eating my lunch at 2:30 (checkin is 2:00!!!).

This resulted in a long edxchange of texts with the boss who apologised for forgetting it is Wednesday then went on to discuss multiple maintenance issues with me - by text. When I am sitting outside a halfcleaned cottage with imminent guest arrival .......... sigh.

They did arrive before I was done but were  a lovely young couple and completely relaxed about it - I sent them up the street to check out various eating options as they were wondering what to do for dinner.

Of course the cottage I had prioritised is not to be occupied till six this evening....

And then there was a mega-load of linen to stack (all done) and small children underfoot (nice children, but not when you are busy).

I collected the prospectus for the cottage but as I suspected there are a number of constraints and expectations that would need to be met so I am proceeding with great caution. My enthusiasm for a b&B has been somewhat dampened by the boss's assertions about overheads and the non-profitability of singe unit accommodation (insurance, registration, fire security, council compliances, taking credit card payments etc).

So maybe that is to go on the back burner at least till I have a moment to scratch myself.

So I finally made it home at 4:30, took Seb for a walk and am now inhaling several gallons of tea before heading out once more to clean the bank. Since i had little sleep last night I imagine I will be quite keen to hit the hay tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment