Thursday, November 28, 2013

Woke to the sound of rain on the roof, but it soon cleared and I got out there and dug up a few more weeds then loaded all of them into the back of the ute in anticipation of tip day tomorrow. The tray is full to overflowing and there are bits of grass and stuff hanging down the side of the ute so it looks like a real hillbilly vehicle right now.

Pootled into town in search of potatoes but apparently they have been unable to get out into the fields so there were none available. Brought home a sweet potato instead. Then did a bit more weeding and ute-loading, established a base for the mini-greenhouse (using some of those hebel blocks I found at the tip to level it (and keep it weed-free) and came in for a cuppa.

Noticed the light level dimishing rapidly like a big cloud had passed over the sun, but when I went out I spotted the source of the problem:
Still, I had done most of the outdoors activities anyway (apart from mowing) so I stayed indoors for the rest of the day.

Watched lessons two and three of the online permaculture design course I am doing which managed to kill the balance of my download limit, but has inspired me to think about water harvesting.

I had thought about this before when I was getting the tank installed (cos I am supposed to dispose of my stormwater onsite), but it had slipped to the back of my mind. Some time ago I did make a to-scale plan for the back yard so I could work out size and placement of a new shed (come the day), so I have dug that out and will play with it, to see how best to distribute the water across the landscape. Since the soil is so soft at present with all the rain digging trenches for ag pipe and such like should be relatively easy which will mean the area closest to the house gains the greatest benefit from all this excess water, and then it can be directed to more constructive uses further down the yard. Makes a lot of sense really, especially now the soil is building up a higher organic content and will retain it for longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment