Got some mowing done this morning - at least all the bits that have been mowed down are now looking neat and orderly. Then got the garden fork out and attacked weeds. The yard is now full of divots where horehound has been removed wholesale and likewise the cranes bill that does such an excellent job of suppressing all other forms of life as it spreads out its tentacles. Almost made it through to the compost heaps - maybe next time. All that pushing, shoving, digging and heaving has left me feeling distinctly muscle-sore, so I popped into the School Garden for a more relaxing time, pouring water on my various solinacea in the polytunnel (and opening the window so some bees can come in an pollinate things and to let out the heat as the sun came out this afternoon). We are going to have to have a working bee in the next week or so as the uncultivated beds have been engulfed in nettles and they are threatening to head into seed already! Astonishing how quickly they have grown given all beds were clear for our open day on the 3rd!
The promised showers were passing through so did not disrupt activities too badly. I hope they hold off till after Friday so I can get some more compost but this seems unlikely given the forecast.
The long thin bed that is under construction may need to be relocated a couple of metres further from the house as I realised that any tall plants at the northern end will get caught on the sheets if the clothesline ever gets erected. I have also offered my place as a venue for a permaculture workshop (hopefully they will accept) which could speed things up a bit for me!
I swear those sunflowers I planted yesterday have each put out 4 new leaves overnight - they are all standing up looking very happy to be (finally) out of their starter pots and into a good growing medium.
No comments:
Post a Comment