Sunday, September 5, 2010

Was checking the forecast this morning when my eye was caught by a comment about damaging winds heading for Christchurch. I was only on reading the article I became aware that they have had a big one over there and that much of what I knew is now in ruins. Have made several attempts to contact friends to no avail, but no doubt they have more important things to deal with at present. Catching up on the status of various parts of the City's heritage kept me busy for much of the morning with the result not much got done today. I did manage to get a rain reading at around the right time - 9.7mm, after which it settled for a slow mizzle for much of the day, and a bit more of a dump shortly after I decided to start chainsawing wood (not a good idea with an electric chainsaw, in the rain, so that stopped fairly promptly).

I planned a Sunday roast today - a belly of lamb from the freezer which I boned out, rolled and stuffed. Disappointingly small quantities of fat in it, so it was not as nice as it could have been, but there is sufficient for sandwiches tomorrow. Shadow was happy to deal with the bones.

It is actually surprisingly soggy around here at present - quite like old times. And many of the bulbs are showing buds - some of which are even showing a bit of colour. So it will presumably be an early spring and lots of lovely blossoms to look forward to.

2 comments:

  1. I am jealous of your having bulbs here in Tassie. Do you have many at your place?

    Everything's soggy here on the Tasman Peninsula too ... Muddy boots all round. But it's totally beautiful with all the cloud around.

    We were near your place yesterday - drove as far north as Jericho before turning back south to Richmond. It was a beautiful day for driving around. I can see why you chose this part of the world as home (though it's way too cold for me) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of bulbs now Herby. The over-the-road neighbour weighed in with three big supermarket bags worth when he thinned his, and then the friends whose garden I helped re-build gave me billions more (and continues to give the - freesias last time I was there). There were so many that I popped some in around the base of each fruit tree as i planted it, then threw the rest onto some ground that had been rotary hoed, and am hoping for the best. So far they do seem to be sending out roots and establishing themselves, so fingers crossed.

    You should have called in. With advance notice I can even produce cakes now!

    ReplyDelete