Well according to the pundits armageddon will be unleashed in Tassie tomorrow. I have done what I can to prepare the yard (not as much as I should, but as much as I can), and am progressively packing the ute with things to take with me (and the pets) should evacuation become necessary. Most of the local farmers have prepped but next door has left long dry grass under the pine trees, so if that goes up, so too will all the houses in the row (me first) because of the wind direction. Aerial attack is the most likely source of problems so once the ash starts falling I am piling the dog and cats into the small crevices remaining in the ute, and heading into town. Close to the lake in case all else fails.
The things a spinner knitter sewer packs include spinning wheels, fabric and fibre stashes, button boxes, pattern books, important documents, clothes, boots as well as newer shoes, and technology. A prescription or two will also be added to the handbag once I stop typing. And in case you were wondering about the sewing machine, not only is it inaccessible but I need a new one anyway haha. So far today has been windy but not hot. And the fires are a long way off. Tomorrow .... well who knows? With any luck a cool change will emerge from down south and we will get rain instead (which is why stuff is in plastic bags in case the ute leaks).
Basically the situation is such that the services and volunteers are already stretched to the limit. Mainland help will presumably be withdrawn if they have problems at home, and so it's up to the individual to maintain personal safety. And that is why I have decided to get the hell out at the earliest indication of a threat.
There's also a spinning day scheduled for Saturday so keeping the wheel and relevant floof accessible also has to be a priority so I am glad I have time to do things progressively. I have worked out how to follow ABC on the laptop which is handy as I get updates on emerging situations. The phone is old so the battery takes ages to recharge and drains fairly quickly, so it remains on the charger.
Hope all is well with you today, and that the situation is easing. I would have packed craft things too..maybe a few clothes as well! And the cat.
ReplyDeleteIt's a week's worth of clothes in there, and paperwork, and hand made things and crafting bits (the expensive ones) and current projects (so I am going up the wall for lack of stuff to do) and wool and some fabric.
ReplyDelete