The Tuesday night meeting was a fairly high risk strategy for Council I have to say. It was promoted as the unveiling of the revised plan for the Pool, but was actually a strategy to demonstrate community support to various government representatives who are considering Council's loan application. Bad choice, but fortunately everyone behaved themselves well.
The final summing up from Rebecca White was very telling. Basically she indicated the loan was to be conditional on the project being as presented and on the site in question. Changes at this stage would compromise the loan application.
I asked two questions - the first related to finances. The application indicates support and catchment from two local government areas adjacent to me. I asked a) what level of consultation had been engaged in with them during the development of the proposal and b) what financial contribution they would be making. The mayor's response was nothing and nothing. I think the politicians present noted this with some discomfort.
My second question was relating to the long-term impact of the proposed site on the future growth of the town (it is in a position that would be better used for more intensive residential use at the rear, commercial use at the front). Their self-described expert in sustainable planning matters stated that he did not consider there was much risk of any change in the next 50 years (the design life of the pool).
I have backed off my opposition on the basis that any pool is better than none, and will direct my energies to ensuring better, more transparent process in relation to the next big project Council is cooking up (a 40 unit motel on the lake side on land they have already purchased despite public consultation indicating three sites were under consideration). Sigh.
Other than that a quick trip to Hobart to return my brown fleece as it was indeed tender and fell apart under more vigorous tugging. Bother.
Today I have a choice of staying at home and trying to do some work in the shed in high winds, going to sewing or attending the next Council meeting which will be held at Woodsdale. I am reluctant to do any of them for a variety of reasons so may end up doing nothing. No ideas yet! But the vivid red sunrise suggests staying at home might be sensible
What is it with councils and pools? Our council wants to spend a fortune on a new pool too, I'm sure the few people in The Rock who use it over the summer will be thrilled. All the farmers paying for it probably don't get the time. Wasting money on a depreciating asset (actually, more like a liability) at this point is worrying. There's nothing we can say or do to change their minds though.. Hard times ahead.. let's blow a few million bucks!
ReplyDeleteYep. Gotta wonder. I do think an indoor pool will be an asset as it will allow our medical centre to offer therapy sessions etc, and kids who have swimming potential will be able to train for more than two months of the year. It's just pretty stupid to put it in the high street of a town selling itself on its heritage assets where users will be obstructing access to the Community Centre and Council chambers (all the businesses are at either end of the town, nowhere near the proposed location that is supposed to promote traffic into their zone of operation).
ReplyDelete