The only reason i got out of bed this morning was because the dog really needed to go to the loo. And was not backward in letting me know this fact. Nothing like the wet nose of a 30 kg dog in your face to discourage laziness I always say.
So I got up, fed the poultry and retired indoors once again in anticipation of more of that lovely rain we got last night (all 2mm of it). A lazy breakfast that lasted for at least an hour, then on to dealing with the flatpacks. That lasted just long enough for me to remember why it was I thought building a plinth was a good idea and wondering why I had changed my mind.
Since everything that could go wrong lately has gone wrong I was feeling a bit disgruntled so sat and read for a bit before thinking maybe I could work out what was wrong with the quilt rather than do nothing.
Got out some graph paper (solely to ensure I was going square, and not drawing rhomboids as the graph paper is metric) and drew a 3.5 inch square. Then drew in the stitching lines, the centre of the bottom stitching line, and the stitching line of a triangle that went from the centre to the top corner where the two stitching lines intersected. Projected that out, measured it, and discovered that the rectangles that have been giving me problems are, in fact the correct measurements.
So then i drew another triangle the same measurements, folded it on the stitching line, and placed it on the square to see if I could work out how to get it on without ending up with strange 'wings' on the sides of my squares instead of nice neat squares like I was supposed to have.
All this drawing and doodling ended up creating a template I could use to mark the placement line on the fabric of the squares, which I duly did. The problem lies with the instructions that indicate that the rectangles should be placed with their flat bottoms along the flat bottom of the square. In fact, they need to be placed at an angle. What is more, they need to be cut into triangles before you do this. This does mean that you are sewing along a bias edge, and can lead to distortion, but I went ahead anyway.
Dug out the sewing machine (gosh it's nice to have it back!!) and sat and sewed one sample, which worked, so chain-pieced the first set of triangles on and ironed them, then went back and sewing on the triangles on the other side. I now have 52 close-to-perfect squares subdivided into three triangles of different fabric. So finally have one thing going right for me.
These now need to have all their rabbits ears cut off, as well as the overlaps of the squares under the triangle, which I can do next quilting day (which will be Wednesday this coming week due to the dentist appointment). I have yet to find my own cutting boards or I would have moved onto piecing the blocks together. So it's probably a good thing I can't find it or I would be sitting and sewing into the night.
I had another stranger coming to enquire about buying the caravan - I guess I should really get into gear and sort it out for sale since it seems such a popular item, and i could do with the cash at present. But, I am afraid that this will have to wait for another day.
oooo!! ETA - I have just been emailed by the person I supplied fertile eggs to last year. She is asking for more, and offering free-range pork belly in exchange - streaky bacon here we come!!! (no, I won't be doing it myself this time, but there is a local chap who does, so will get him to deal with it for me).
No comments:
Post a Comment